Pressed for time? Make big gains with this super-efficient, muscle-building 30min lunch time workout.
If work deadlines have got you struggling to squeeze in some quality gym time, why not try a lunch time quickie to get the blood pumping. There’s no need to miss a session when you can smash out this muscle-building, fat-burning workout in just 30 minutes and be back at your desk before the boss even notices you’re gone.
Developed by experienced fitness professional Tom Cruz, the idea of this program is to make the most out of your session with minimal time. The gym will probably be busy during your lunch break, so finding available equipment/machines will be difficult. Nobody’s got time to wait around and ask, “How many more sets do you have?” Efficiency and effectiveness are the name of the game.
To get this full body workout done in 30 minutes, jog to the gym as your warm up, quickly grab the following equipment and set them up.
All You Need:
- Medicine Ball
- Exercise Mat (optional)
Using the following combination of exercises one after the other is the best way to maximize your time because you’re building strength while also working your cardiovascular fitness at the same time by minimising downtime and keeping your heart rate up.
30min LUNCH TIME WORKOUT
LUNCH TIME WORKOUT EXERCISE #1
SUPERMAN – ( 15 REPS )
A great exercise to start with as it strengthens and stretches your lower back. Additionally, it prevents lower back pains or strains during your workout and can help to relieve tension from sitting at a desk all day.
1. Lay face down on the floor or exercise mat. Keep arms fully extended out in front of you
2. Raise your arms, legs and chest off the floor at the same time while exhaling and hold for 1 to 2 seconds. Inhale and slowly return to starting position.
Targets: Main Muscles – Lower back
Other Muscles: Glutes, Hamstrings
LUNCH TIME WORKOUT EXERCISE #2
AB CURL ( 15 REPS )
This abs exercise will strengthen and provide more stability around the trunk.
1. Lay flat on your back, knees bent, feet flat and hands on your thighs.
2. Using your core, slowly curl your upper body up letting your hands slide up your thighs and reaching your fingers over your knees. (Advanced option: wrists go past the knees.)
3. Slowly return to starting position
LUNCH TIME WORKOUT EXERCISE #3
FORWARD LUNGE WITH ROTATION ( 20 REPS EACH LEG )
Your core should already be nice and warm from the first two exercises. Not only does this exercise target your torso, it also targets your legs.
1. Stand with legs hip-distance apart, holding a medicine ball in front of you at chest level.
2. Take a stride forward with your left leg and lunge by bending your back leg 90 degrees down towards the ground. Do not allow your front knee to go past the toes.
3. Rotate your torso to the left with the medicine ball and squeeze your abs as you twist. Push off your front leg and return to starting position. Repeat on the other side.
Targets: Main Muscles: Quadriceps, Abdominals
Other Muscles: Calves, Gluteus, Hamstrings
LUNCH TIME WORKOUT EXERCISE #4
DUMBBELL SQUAT TO BICEP CURL ( 15 REPS )
Progressing from the Lunge to a Squat will get your quads burning. You also target your biceps, prepping to superset that muscle for the next exercise.
1. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent and holding dumbbells by your side with palms facing the side of your thighs.
2. Keeping abs braced, squat down by bending knees about 90 degrees. Keep body weight in heels without allowing your knees to move past the toes.
3. Stand up, pushing through heels and curl your arms up towards your chest while rotating your wrists so your palms face you. Squeeze biceps at the top then lower to starting position.
Targets: Main Muscles: Quadriceps, Biceps
Other Muscles: Calves, Gluteus, Hamstrings, Lower Back